Tuesday, July 03, 2007

FEATURED ATTRACTION:


Where do I even begin with this one? JACK HAMMER as the Writer, Producer and Director for NATHAN ZACHARY AND DRAKE’S GOLD… I guess that’s a good place to start.

Writing a good, solid script is a difficult task in itself, but to Produce and also act as Director for that same written script… perhaps it is too much to ask from one person? Well, at least JACK HAMMER doesn’t seem to believe so.

NATHAN ZACHARY AND DRAKE’S GOLD is a fast-paced, high-octane thriller of a ride that exhibits a great sense of timing. This film is like a great, giant rollercoaster ride. You hit just the right peak, and just the right valley… at just the right time.

This film, based on the PC game entitled CRIMSON SKIES, tells the story of NATHAN ZACHARY, and his band of “air pirates”, called THE FORTUNE HUNTERS. For those who are not familiar with the PC game, NATHAN ZACHARY AND DRAKE’S GOLD tells what is actually the first story arc of the PC game. For more information on the actual PC game… you can check it out at the official website for the game. [
http://www.microsoft.com/games/crimsonskies/]

The world of CRIMSON SKIES is filled with the US divided into separate, smaller nations. Armed zeppelins sail amongst the clouds, and air pirates rule the skies. THOMAS JANE is an interesting choice for the heroic main character of NATHAN ZACHARY. About the best thing that I can equate it to, at least as far as the choice of actors is concerned, is the same choice that was made for what is perhaps one of my “TOP 20” favorites of all times… Would anyone else have chosen JUDE LAW as the hero of an action/adventure film? Well that happened in SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW. Personally, I think THOMAS JANE as NATHAN ZACHARY… and I really now couldn’t see anyone else portraying the difficult role any better.

Let’s just say this one final thing about NATHAN ZACHARY AND DRAKE’S GOLD… This film may just be the measuring stick, by which all blockbusters are measured against for this season. It’s going to be a tough act to follow.

How I rate NATHAN ZACHARY AND DRAKE’S GOLD…

Originality of Screenplay




Interest of Storyline




Casting





I can’t honestly say that the screenplay is original, since its storyline is taken directly from the PC game… but it’s still a great thrill ride to enjoy.

NOW AVAILABLE FROM CRAZY MOON PICTURES ON DVD, HD-DVD AND BLU-RAY DISC:

All right, before anyone brings it up, I’m going to probably contradict myself here with my review of the DVD edition of SYNDROME: PARADISE LOST. Many times, you have to separate yourself from your actual likes, and dislikes… to paint, what is hopefully an “unbiased” picture of what you are giving your opinions on.

Let me say that, from a personal standpoint… I LOVE ZOMBIE MOVIES!!! As a critic though, you cannot let your personal favorites as far as movie entertainment choices effect what you hope was an honest portrayal of a films worth or value.

This will be the first time I do this, but you know what… maybe it’s worth doing. Do WHAT, you ask? Well, I’m actually going to recommend the DVD, over the actual cinematic release, and here is why I would do such a thing.

The DVD is a solid production, and worth the purchase. Even if you are a “closet” zombie film fan… the DVD release of SYNDROME: PARADISE LOST has some great, extra material worth having.

Here’s what it great value the DVD offers…
- Director and Cast commentary
- The Making of SYNDROME: PARADISE LOST featurette
- A 20 minute featurette on the make-up effects of the film
- Cast and Crew interviews
- “Behind the scenes” look at the digital effects of the movie, and how a “ruined world” was created.
- “ZOMBIE NIGHTMARE”, a 60 minute documentary on the history of zombie films

These bonus features on the DVD release will keep even the “closet” zombie film fan happy. So, I’d have to say that the ZOMBIE NIGHTMARE documentary definitely is the best feature of the whole DVD package. Seeing this package deal, and the value that you get for your money, almost says to me that this maybe should have been a “straight to DVD” release. The ZOMBIE NIGHTMARE documentary is actually that good.

So, even though I gave the film SYNDROME: PARADISE LOST a rating of 0 in all three categories, my advice for the DVD release of the film…

BUY IT!!!

Maybe MATT KUBRICK has found his true calling, or at least his niche, in the making of film documentaries?

ALSO AVAILABLE ON DVD…

FLASHES OF LIFE is a good solid love story.

Although the flashback sequences were overdone and perhaps overused, I still feel that this is still a good film to watch… at least once.

The problem with “gimmicky” films is… after the first time you watch it, the film seriously loses its replay value almost immediately.

FLASHES OF LIFE is a good story, all in all… and “tear jerker” at times to watch… so, I think you can probably guess what my recommendation for the DVD release of this film is?

RENT IT!!!

It’s worth seeing at least once.

ALSO, COMING TO A THEATER NEAR YOU…


LIEUTENANT USA AND HIS WARM STEEL GANG… Where do I begin?

This film is a parody, cut from the same cloth as films like AIRPLANE, SCARY MOVIE, and to some extent (dare I mention it?) SPACEBALLS. It makes an attempt to poke fun at the Christmas holiday… and perhaps even to a lesser extent, its over-commercialization.

The problem is… I fear that this film falls just short of delivering the solid punchline to the joke.

This is not to say that there is not some solid humor in this film, but the major issue that LIEUTENANT USA AND HIS WARM STEEL GANG suffers from is that Steve Carrell, who is supposed to be the film’s main “star”, is far overshadowed by the supporting cast in this picture.

Although the ensemble cast is well established in comedic talent, the problem to me really seems to be who was cast into what part. I think that this film would have been far better cast if Owen Wilson were cast as Lieutenant USA, and Steve Carrell were cast as Fridget Captain Banderas Nantayalah.

This is mostly due to the fact that Will Farrell steals the show as Darth Santa… and also that some of the best (and perhaps the funniest) parts of the LIEUTENANT USA AND HIS WARM STEEL GANG are the cameo appearances by Demi Moore, John Goodman and Kenneth Branagh. Even those cameo performances overshadow the performance of Steve Carrell as Lieutenant USA. Who knows… maybe that’s the whole point to this film? Maybe that’s where the true punchline actually resides? It’s the fact that everyone is better than Lieutenant USA.

All in all, I think JOHN DAWS has a comedy that’s worth going to see, but LIEUTENANT USA AND HIS WARM STEEL GANG could probably have been better cast to counter Will Farrell’s scene stealing presence in this film.

So, how do I rate LIEUTENANT USA AND HIS WARM STEEL GANG?

Originality of Screenplay




Interest of Storyline




Casting





Well everyone… That’s it for this edition of PREVIEWING ATTRACTIONS WITH MISTERBALDY. So, until next time;

Head out to the lobby, go buy yourself a large popcorn, as well as a drink, and…

SEE YOU IN THE MOVIES!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home