MAY, 8ON THEATRES NEXT WEEK
1-FIVE THUNDERBOLTS
Action / Crime / Drama
The Cast: Jet Li, Ziyi Zhang, Chow Yun-Fat
The Director: Ang Lee
The Producer: Martin Scorsese
The Screenwriter: Josh Collins
The Plot: A rare opportunity to take a look into organized crime in China, or a Triad Society. Jet Li is a lower level member of the triad trying to move up the ranks. Chow Yun-Fat is the boss of the Triad Jet Li is a part of. The film details what it's like in a Chinese Triad Society. Some activities are quite similar to other types of organized crime groups around the world, and there are some differences of course like the initiation process involving an altar, incense smoke and the sacrificing of an animal. The candidate would soon have to pass beneath an arch of swords reciting the Triad oaths. Deceiving the oaths may and most likely will be punishable by being "struck down by five thunderbolts" as each oath suggests.
It's a hard job for Jet Li to be a part of. As a new guy who is very private and introverted, many of the Triad members don't trust him. As time progresses things get better and they begin to get comfortable with him. Jet Li begins to fall for one of the group's prostitutes, Ziyi Zhang and as he progresses through the ranks his intentions do get clearer for him that he DOES want control of the gang.
It all comes to a head in the big Chinese mobster showdown between Jet Li, Chow Yun-Fat and any surviving supporters of the current boss. Jet Li's goal is accomplished when he defeats Chow Yun-Fat and his followers, gets with Ziyi Zhang and control of the Triad.

Stark’s Comment: Here is an original and risky project. An innovative approach to action and mobsters movies. Yes, it is spoken in Chinese and subtitled in English. And you bet that can be ‘box office poison'. But the screenplay and the talents involved were so good that it deserved the risk.
2-CELEBUTANTES
Comedy / Satire
The Cast: Michelle Trachtenberg, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Sienna Miller, Jennifer Tilly, Randy Quaid. Cameos by Matt Damon, Paris Hilton, Matt Kubrick, Ted Froats, Harry Stark.
The Director and Screenwriter: James Bradley
The Plot: Here is a story about the lives of the rich and famous with painterly descriptions of people most of us will never party with and places we'll never visit. Take large portions of glitz and glamour, toss them with the Hollywood scene and you have the life of this Celebutantes.
Lola Santisi (M.Trachtenberg) is a gal who should have it all. She's on the A-list in Hollywood, daughter of an Oscar winning director (R.Quaid, who desperately wants a second golden statue) and a mom (J.Tilly) who is one of the ladies who lunch (only at the best places, of course.) Lola is 26, gorgeous, and an alcoholic. She hasn't quite found her place in the world (although much of the universe has been given to her on a silver platter).
Nonetheless, she's now engaged in trying to convince stars to wear her designer's gowns to the all-important, deal making, career breaking Oscars. That's a tough battle and when engaged in heavy combat one needs to have pals by your side. For support Lola has press agent Kate Woods (M.Gyllenhaal) who wants to charge up the ladder of success and Cricket Curtis (S.Miller), an actress who only has to her credit the role of a screaming teenager in the Matt Kubrick’s latest horror flick ‘Attack Of The Wet T-Shirt Monster’.
On their come and goes with the cinema citizens, Lola and her friends meet all kind of people. Cricket makes a casting for the latest Ted Froats’ drama. She faces there Froats and Hollywood’s big shot, Harry Stark. But she is dismissed as she cannot play a convincing death scene.
At the latest Vanity Fair Oscar Party, Lola is taken out by security guards after her sexual harassment to Matt Damon at the Men’s Toilet. She had taken a few drinks before…
And Kate will fail in her attempt to convince Paris Hilton to hire her as her new press agent after a new visit to prison due to drunk driving.
That’s ordinary life for the three of them, together with their desperate need to be invited to major Hollywood’s events like the Barry Diller's and Diane von Furstenberg's fabulous picnic, the Gagosian dinner at Mr. Chow or the ultimate Victoria and David’s children birthday party.

Stark’s Comment: I admit I ain’t got a clue about how this one may work at box office. Looks like a funny comedy and Bradley always finds his way to survive at box office. The Hollywood style of life is always intriguing and appealing for ordinary people so maybe we’ll get to fill up the theatres with ordinary people willing to laugh at it all. By the way, I had so much fun making a cameo in it...
3-TOGETHER APART
Love Story
The Cast: Hayden Christensen, Evan Rachel Wood, Jamie Bell, Rory Culkin, Helen Hunt
The Director: Jason Reitman
The Screenwriter: David Makalaster
The Plot: Markus (Christensen) & Lisa (Wood) meet over the internet while she is on a trip to near where Markus lives, they decide to meet for real and fall flatly for each other. But Lisa is forced to go home again, and they'll have to cope with the distance, not being able to be there for each other, local allures and exes who didn't know what they had til it was gone again. Saving up their meager earnings to visit each other isn't exactly easy either. The struggle to be together is in the limelight in this moving film, based on a true story.
Cast: Haley Joel Osment, Evan Rachel Wood, Jamie Bell (Markus' Roommate), Rory Culkin (Lisa's Brother), Helen Hunt (Lisa's Mother)

Stark’s Comment: Love stories are always a difficult release. I just hope that the young generation of moviegoers will connect with something so familiar for them as internet chats and relationships. Not really sure about it. It is all based on the appeal and chemistry of the starring couple.
MOVIES IN DEVELOPMENT
THE AVENGERS: Cast completed with two more names. Yes, Captain America will return to life in the movie after his death in ‘Captain America: Destiny’. And yes, somebody has been chosen to replace Heath Ledger. And his name is Adam Baldwin. The villain of the story will be played by Malcolm McDowell. And surprising news: Dwayne The Rock Johnson, originally cast to play Thor was urgently replaced by Tyler Mane after suffering an accident during the shootage that has obliged him to abandon it. Something more? Yes. The movie is said to last more than two hours.FEAR THE DARKNESS 4: It is here at last! One of the most remembered CMP’s franchises is here again. The evil Darkman will try to scare us to death again. After Wes Craven and Robert Rodriguez, Tobe Hopper will be now directing the new episode. And, of course, Benicio Del Toro is back again playing the iconic character. ‘Midnight Movies’ will take care of this long awaited production.

SUPER BOWL: Two beautiful ladies will accompany Justin Long and Shia Leabouf in their trip to the Super Bowl. Isla Fisher, previously seen in ‘If Tomorrow Never Comes’, and Katherine Heigl, in her first work for the Studio.
MONOLITH: The cast keeps growing. Michael Caine (‘Fools Game’, ‘Ace Banner 2’) returns to CMP. Christian Bale also joins the cast. Past Season we saw him working for CMP in ‘Blink’ and the megahit ‘Game Boy 2: Warlands’. This will be his eighth work for CMP. And a debutante: Academy Award recent winner, the Spanish actor Javier Bardem. And still more cast members to be announced.
LOBO: Another veteran in CMP for this cast. Patrick Stewart, seen in major CMP’s franchises like Corsairs, Star Wars and, of course, Hitman, is the main villain now in this one right after his recent GMA nomination as Best Supporting Actor. Tenth movie for him at CMP. And no, he wasn’t at the Game Boy 2’s poster, but he is here to debut in CMP. Michael Ironside. He will play Stewart’s son and heir as the main villain in Lobo’s world.FORTUNE CITY: As soon as she has finished her work in ‘Celebutantes’, Maggie Gyllenhaal has run to start working in this Lawrence Kasdan’s western. Philip Seymour Hoffman (‘Dr. Jones and the Sword of Faith’, ‘Blink’) and Josh Brolin (‘HF’) will also be wandering around the far west.

LIFE AND FACTS OF A DIRTY MIND: Brittany Murphy (‘Indigo Prophecy’, ‘Poor Little Rich Boy’) plays one of Jack Black’s lovers while Holly Hunter (‘Bill and the Rocket Man’) also returns to CMP with this movie playing a renowned gossips journalist and long time Black’s friend.
A STANDING EIGHT: After his recent debut with ‘When Dreams Die’, green light for another Richard Franzwa’s pitch. A drama again, this time about a married couple going through a crisis. Robert Redford will work behind the cameras as director and GMA winner Jim Carrey (‘Carousel’) will leave aside his comedy side to be the troubled husband.
ONLY IN AMERICA: We said it before. This is going to be an allstar cast. Michelle Pfeiffer (‘An American Stroll’) will be a former First Lady running for the Presidency (not named Hillary) and Matt Damon – who can be seen next week making a cameo in ‘Celebutantes’ – will be another one of the candidates, a populist lawyer. And still more to come.3’s AND 7’s: He is back. After working in his favourite Matt Kubrick’s sagas directing ‘Wild Cards 2: Aces High’ and ‘Ace Banner: Return To Fury’ and also in Marcus Trax’s ’22:01’, he will now direct the new David Makalaster’s pitch: an action movie involving a poker game, mobsters and a golden Chinese dragon.
MAKING OF… ‘FIVE THUNDERBOLTS’
We had our people call his people and managed to get a sit-down chat with Josh Collins at one of the many Starbucks in the city. He pitched a peculiar film set to be released by CMP in the coming season titled 'Five Thunderbolts' and we were wondering what inspired this idea.
"I've always had a soft spot for mobster movies. I know it's not going to be 'The Heirs' which was the closest thing CMP had to equalizing the classic 'Godfather' series' but I didn't really want it to be just another 'Heirs' I was looking to give moviegoers a chance to culture themselves, find out about the contrasts and comparisons of our country and the rest of the world, in this case, China and mafia. This film wanted to give Asians a chance to showcase themselves and be more than a stereotypical kung fu-master. Granted, there are some good fight scenes throughout, but it's not ALL just martial arts. There's a love story and a man working his way up the ranks in a triad."
One of the biggest worries is the film's spoken language. Would other audiences feel bored and confused listening to the entire cast speak Chinese? A lot of people want to go and WATCH a movie, not READ a movie."I'll admit it's scary to think of how the audience will react, but it's not the first film to be spoken in a foreign language and won't be the last. It's a movie that really wants people to experience Chinese culture and see beautiful shots of the country. I personally think this film has something for everyone. Mobsters, romance, action, drama, and breathtaking scenery with the Collins touch of artistry."
Josh Collins is best known in CMP for churning out profit in a difficult genre, drama, but he's been experimenting lately with all kinds of genres from musicals, comedies, horror, and action/fantasy/sci-fi.
"You don't want to be a one trick pony in this business. When your act gets stale you begin to fade into oblivion. Look at so many one-time Oscar winners who've not had a good career since." We won't show you the rest of what Collins said in this quote as he listed out certain people and we don't want to go and get their feelings hurt.
We wanted to know how the heck he got directorial legend Martin Scorcese to produce the film.
"We didn't get Marty, he got us. Upon hearing the buzz about the film, Marty got in touch with us and expressed interest of producing. The man knows drama, crime and mobsters like the back of his hand. It was quite an honor we couldn't pass up!"
We asked where the title of the movie came about.
"Titles for movies is not my cup of tea. Five Thunderbolts has a bit of significance to a Chinese triad's oath. If you disobey any of the oaths, may you be killed by myriads of swords..and/or five thunderbolts. This of course is what our protagonist does throughout the film. Or would he be considered the antagonist?"
Moviegoers have been witnessing the trailers and now only time will tell if trailers invoke their interest. In closing, Collins issued a playful threat for the public.
"You will see this movie or you will be killed by five thunderbolts!"
At least we think he was being playful. He didn't laugh.
MAKING OF… ‘CELEBUTANTES’
By James Bradley
‘Celebutantes’ is a funny satire based on the book written by a couple of ‘Hollywood’s daughters’: Amanda Goldberg (daughter of tv producer Leonard Goldberg) and Ruthanna Khalighi Hopper (daughter of actor Dennis Hopper). Well, it is not exactly ‘based’ in the book. More properly, I should say it is ‘inspired’ by the book as I have introduced some changes in the storyline to make it closer to CMP. The book tells the story of a group of women very similar to Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan and all those young women that are more famous due to their wild life in Hollywood than to their work. It is a silly story but I had so much fun reading the book that I thought it would be fun to make a movie out of it. I would say this is the brainless version of Hollyweird.
The movie is my first work as director. I could have chosen some other story to direct. A bigger one, like ‘Pompeii’ or so. The truth is I had never had the intention of becoming a movie director. But
when I was thinking who could direct this pitch no name came to my mind. Who could be interested in directing such a simple comedy? Well, I thought, I will do it myself. Now, when critics rip it off I will be the only one to blame.I discovered Michelle Trachtenberg through CMP. I was curious when I saw her name in some CMP’s casts. No idea of who she was, sorry. I have discovered some movie stars in CMP. I knew who Maggie Gyllenhaal was. But I became more familiar with her after her CMP’s movies. So I decided to cast here some stars I had no previous knowledge and not many references about. That way I could imagine them better as the movie characters.
And then I had this idea. Why not having some CMP’s names in the movie? So here they are. Froats, Kubrick and Stark making a cameo… I make a little fun out of them. I just hope they don’t care. The whole thing is a parody so they had to be part of the parody too. Thank you, guys, for accepting the offer.
I enjoy the idea of turning ‘Celebutantes’ into a movie. I prefer the comedies I have done with Wes Anderson and Kate Winslet and Giamatti. But, hey, some times you just have to let yourself go and do something stupid just for the fun of it!

A PRESS CONFERENCE WITH MATT KUBRICK
Here are some highlights from Matt Kubrick’s latest interview. He talked both about his recent release ‘Damnation Road’ and his most popular franchise: ‘Wild Cards’:
‘Damnation Road’ is an ultra violent Exploition Road movie. I wrote this script because I wanted to push some boundries of violence here at CMP. I thought it was time to go all out for and release a movie that would make people squirm in their seats at the nastyness of it. The movie contains some nasty stuff especially the hard to watch rape scene I wouldn't be surprised if some reviewers will hate it or even try and bad talk me or Midnight Movies for releasing such a travesty. I actually hope so because that is great free publicity for Damnation Road
and Midnight Movies!. I always had Rob Zombie in mind for directing even while I was writing the script. The violence in his movies are pretty violent but never over the top and his violence is always grounded in reality. Just watch the scene in his movie Halloween when a very young michael myers beats a bully to death with a big log it's pretty disturbing and tough to watch. That is what I wanted for this movie.The highway chase at the end is the most expensive part of this movie. There is absoluetly no CGI work done. It is all stunt drivers and actors with a mix of prosthetic limbs, real wrecked cars and motorcycles and great makeup work. I didn't want anyone to think that this doesn't look real. I wanted it to look real and gritty and that was what Rob Zombie was able to do.
Charlize Theron was great in the role as our heroine out for blood and revenge. You don't want to cross this lady because she will mess you up. She is beautiful and she is tough as nails and very pissed off. You want to see her take her revenge.
I felt that a limited release was the best way to go. This isn't a movie for everyone and it's not a popcorn flick where you can bring the kids and enjoy an afternoon or a night out at the movies. It's a real raw hard hitting film and the people that see it will either hate it or love it, there really isn't a middle ground for this type of movie. But it delivers the goods the movie does what it wants to do and it does it well and never lets up.
‘Wild Cards’ is based on a series of novels written by multiple authors. Some of the books are written by a single person. It actually all started when a bunch of authors used to
get together and play super hero tabletop RPG games. Then they started writing stories about the characters they made. It's a massive alternate history earth rich with amazing characters and history. I wanted to bring that world to the movies, like the books the movies feature more than one story. The first movie was a big hit with the critics but it didn't make that much money at the box office. The second movie did great pulled in some cash and then some. The third one didn't do as well as the previous entry but was still a good hit. Then we brought out Yeoman which was a critical success and box office success. We've had all manor of good guys and bad guys and aliens over the course of three movies and the spinoff the Yeoman and it looks like the franchise is here to stay. I have just turned in a screenplay for a 4th Wild Cards movie and I pitched a story idea for a Yeoman 2 and with the anouncement that was talked about awhile ago about a Chrysalis movie that Joey Stark might write, it looks like The Wild Cards franchise will be here for quite some time.SPECIAL INTERVIEW… BEN TYLER
As the latest GMA Winner for Best Screenplay, we had a long talk with Ben Tyler. Get to know more about the winner!
So how does it feel winning a GMA with your very first screenplay? Do you care about awards?
Well, it feels terrific, obviously. And I'd be lying if I were to say that I wasn't hoping to win one (or at least get nominated for a few). Every writer likes it when his work is recognized - nobody ever goes out and says "Okay, I'm going to write a story that everybody will hate."
But as nice as that recognition is, I'm not in it for that. A pat on the back every now and then is great, sure, but if that's the only thing you're after, you won't get far. Everybody starts from total obscurity, and many writers - even some of the great ones - remain there for all their lives. Being a writer takes perseverance and a true passion for the craft.
Do I care about awards? Sure, I do. Do I consciously write my pitches for the purpose of winning them? No - my goal is, always has been, and always will be to write good stories which will be made into good movies. It's as simple as that.
Did you expect so much attention for 'Schroedinger's Litterbox'?
Yes and no. I knew I had a good movie and script on my hands when I was writing it, and [director]
Then, as you know, the movie came out, and it did considerably better than I expected - in-line with my wildest hopes, really. And the things the critics were saying about it...well, they kinda blew my mind. I believe there was one who called it a "landmark in modern comedy," or something to that effect. It was almost surreal - one minute, I'm a young screenwriter that nobody's ever heard of, and then the next minute, everybody thinks I'm a genius. I really don't think it's possible to be truly prepared for something like that.
You have begun your career in CMP with two peculiar pitches, 'Schroedinger's Litterbox' and the remake of 'Quadrophenia'. But it seems like you are moving lately to Hollywood's mainstream with your next pitches: sci-fi, comic based movies... How do you see your screenwriter career in the future?
Well, I write about anything that interests me, and I'll continue to do so for the forseeable future (and beyond). I have a biopic, a political thriller, a couple of dramas, and, yes, some sci-fi pieces in the works right now, so variety is not a concern.
And as for my recent pitches, I don't think Monolith and Lobo (or any of my other pitches, for that matter) fit the traditional definition of "mainstream" films. One of them is a cerebral, semi-allegorical film set in a post-apocalyptic future, and the other is an adaptation of an obscure, off-beat, ultra-
violent comic book. So it's not exactly your typical lightweight popcorn fare.Tell us something about your upcoming movie, 'Monolith'. Sounds as something big...
It is DEFINITELY going to be big - my best work yet, in my opinion. So good, in fact, that I don't want to spoil anything for you. All I'll tell you about it right now is that it takes place in the future, it takes place underground, and that Hugh Jackman will play a cop. That's all I'm gonna say.
How was it like this innovative experience of co-writting a screenplay? That's something new in CMP. Who had the idea of co-writting 'Lobo' with Matt Kubrick? How was the experience?
Whoa, whoa - one question at a time, please! (Nah, just teasing).
I was actually the one who came up with the idea. Now, I'm no comic book aficionado by any stretch of the imagination, but I had read a couple of Lobo books when I was about 15 and I enjoyed the HELL out of them. I've always thought that a Lobo movie would be a great idea, but I didn't really know THAT much about Lobo's backstory other than the fact that he had destroyed the rest of his species on a whim. I needed some help from
somebody who knew a thing or two about comics - and I figured that, as the creator of the Wild Cards franchise, Matt Kubrick was that guy.So I contacted him to see if he was interested. Now, it turns out, he didn't know any more about Lobo than I did, but he said he was willing to give it a shot. So we did some research (I even re-read my well-worn copy of the Paramilitary Christmas Special) and put together a solid story that stays faithful to the source material. I based the main story on an arc that appeared in the L.E.G.I.O.N. comic books (the series in which Lobo first appeared), and combined them with some of Matt's ideas.
Overall, I'd say the experience was very unique, fun, and rewarding. I would definitely work with Matt again.
Let's talk a bit about CMP... Besides yours, what are your favorites movies from the Studio?
I like the Wild Cards series and Robotech 1, 2, and 3. I'm also rather partial to Josh Collins' and Ted Froats' dramas.
Will you ever try to direct a movie?
I think I probably will. In fact, that day might not be too far off. When I work on a script, I have this basic vision of what I want each scene to look like. Since I hire other directors to capture that vision for me, I'll usually take a good, long look at that vision and say something like "Hmmm...this looks like a Christopher Nolan film," or "Hmmm...I think Sam Mendes is the right man for this job." When I look at my finished script and think "Hmmm...this looks like something Ben Tyler should direct," I'll direct the movie without hesitation.
Are you interested in sequels or creating franchises, like most of CMP's screenwriters seem to be?
Well, like I said before, I write stories that interest me. If an interesting sequel is possible, I'll make it into a movie. If it's not, I won't. That being said, it probably would be pretty cool to have maybe one or two "tent-pole" franchises going for me. But I won't take it too far.

TALK OF THE TOWN
Nicholas Cage’s first experience as producer, ‘Faction 12’, has been so successful that he is considering repeating it. Cage has recently stated that he will star only one more movie of the ‘Dungeons and Dragons’ franchise. ‘I love the DnD’s movies, but I think that one more is enough. After that, I’d like to concentrate on producing my own projects’, he said. Now, Cage is looking for screenplays he might be interested in developing both as star and producer.Following the recent statements from Matt Kubrick about Wild Cards (see above), Harry Stark has confirmed that a new episode of the saga will be released on Season 8. Stark has also confirmed that the plan of developing another spin-off based on the character Chrysalis – played by Angelina Jolie in the two first episodes of the franchise and by Eva Green in ‘Yeoman’ – goes on, although he did not say what actress will play the lead role.
We have repeatedly said that the cast from ‘Lieutenant USA and his Warm Steel Gang’ has become a kind of comedy gang in CMP. Some of them have worked together in other movies since then. And now Harry Stark is planning to reunite the whole group again in a new pitch. It won’t be at all a sequel of ‘Lieutenant USA’ but a brand new story just repeating the complete same cast.It seems like the US Presidential campaign is having a strong influence in CMP’s writers. John Daws looked at George Bush from a different point of view in ‘No More Bush!’. Ted Froats will soon release his musical about different Presidential candidates in ‘Only In America’. And a new screenwriter, Dawson Edwards, has sent to Harry Stark a screenplay also having Presidential candidates as its main characters.

Another star has publicly talked about his most popular franchise. Colin Farrell has recently stated that he would not like keep playing Hitman all of his life. ‘I have played the character more than enough. I’d rather leave it before audiences get tired of it.’, he said. Remember that a fifth Hitman’s movie was recently announced.
SALT & PEPPER
SALT
PEPPER
WHAT HAPPENED WITH… JOHN CUSACK?
Some talents have a very different career in and out of CMP. And that’s great, as it proves that CMP has its own life. While some minor stars out of CMP are building a solid career in the Studio (Michelle Trachtenberg?) and others seem to have more future in CMP than out of it (Haley Joel Osment?), some other stars are not as lucky in CMP as they are out of it. That’s the case for John Cusack. His first movie for the Studio, ‘The Clown Smile’, was an enormous flop in CMP’s first Season (a time when CMP used an easier HM’s level and almost every movie was a major hit). Then, he completely sunk with his work as actor and director in the very personal ‘Outer Eye’, another legendary flop (only 3 millions in box office!). Since then, we have only seen Cusack in ‘Hollyweird’ (which didn’t make a decent box office neither). Poor John has not been lucky in CMP. Looking at his career in the Studio it seems hard for writers and directors to trust him as a solid value in box office.
<< Home